Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicago Tease...And The 10 Year Reunion Of Beta Lambda In Pullman, WA!!!

April 27th, 2008

As I sit here on the plane sipping the finest Chardonnay (for free I might add) I think back and reflect on the past weekend in Pullman, WA where I helped take part in AKPSI Beta Lambda Chapter's 10 year Reunion! What an experience! My original goal was to make it across the Nation and drive into Pullman with a fury and passion and for better or worse look to end things shortly thereafter. Almost 2 months later, that couldn't be further from reality! I made it all the way to Chicago, IL where I met the Professional LUV of my life...Ms. Angela Brandenburg. Never before had I met someone so spot on with ideas, passions, motivation and life experiences similar to my very own! Unfortunately due to time constraints I had to leave her behind after only what amounted to about a good half day and evening before jet-setting back to Pullman. In that time however we decided to do something that has never been done before and get "Professionally" married as brothers in AKPSI. Some people work so hard and spend so much time at the office that they literally develop a sort of work husband or wife, this was similar but different! Instead of being legally bound in Milli-seconds we decided to make a pledge of brotherhood to each other signifying our "Much Professional LUV" of each other and what we stand for both as separate entities as well as together! It wasn't long before I "Professionally" proposed with the biggest blue diamond my ex-Microsoft salary could afford, (She said YES by the way!) and things were on! Within hours, the world would be told of this desire for unity of brotherhood and a COLLECTIVE "WTF" could be heard across Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Email, and the Phone Lines! Most people I've spoken with wished us well but had no idea what we were doing, were we serious? Was this a joke? Were we crazy!? Perhaps all of the above would be the best answer! Yes we're serious and there is a genuine, indescribable connection and understanding between the two of us! What better way to express that and spread brotherhood and professional luv to the masses and help make a difference in the meantime!

Saturday, May 2nd we're set to tie the "professional" knot in Chicago complete with bachelor/bachelorette parties, rehearsal dinners, vows, reception and honeymoon! ;) Life is good and I hope all of you will keep an open mind and really see all that this event means and what it will do for AKPSI and brotherhood across the nation! We actually have brothers flying in from as far as Washington DC to take part, we have bridesmaids and the best man and videographers and photographers and even a flower girl! We've got venues, and hotels and a plan! Sounds crazy to some and we may be the only two brothers in the world to dream this up and pull it off but that's exactly what makes this event so special! Its about the coming together of brothers from all walks of life and backgrounds and chapters and history and uniting for the purpose of spreading professional luv! What is professional luv you might ask well if you know me then you may have a little bit of a clue but I can't even really begin to explain it at this point.It is something that I not only coined and created my own movement with but it is always given with the highest regard and respect as I live each day! Stay tuned for additional news, notes, video blogs, photos and announcements about this special day to come! All capped off of course with my ladies "most excellent" wedding gift...Two tickets to see the Cubbies at Wrigley Field in Chicago! I Professionally LUV you Babe!!!

Wow, can you say tangent!? I return to my original topic of the Beta Lambda 10 Year Reunion of Alpha Kappa Psi at Washington State University! When I arrived late Thursday night I was picked up by one of my favorite current members, Mr. Brandon Borchers, also known as "Brando" or "Mongoose" after this weekend's festivities! I have stayed with him and his two roommates, Taylor & Matt once before and had the time of my life on another weekend of festivities so I knew upon arrival that I was in for something great this weekend! We headed back and crashed as I had been on planes and in airports for the majority of the day, not to mention the drastic time difference between Chicago & Pullman!

The next day I set out to rediscover Pullman in all its glory on foot! Backpack in place and camera in hand, I began to photograph my way around campus in the effort to truly show brothers across the country, the true beauty of the Palouse and Washington State University! I hope you all enjoy the photos on my Facebook page and if you haven't already please go ahead and add me as a friend on Facebook to truly experience the journey through visuals which can sometimes be better or greatly add to these stories that I share across this medium! The campus is a truly beautiful one with red brick buildings that date back to 1890 and our founding! This was the perfect opportunity to exercise my old "Cougar Calves!" Cougar Calves develop over the course of our college experience in Pullman due to the never ending hills and Pullman is one of the only places where I can honestly say I used to have to go "up hill, both ways in snow and almost barefoot (flip-flops)" and I loved every minute of it! There's another reason why I say that I have a PERMANENT Cougar Calve but that is a story for another time! ;)

After hiking around campus and down town Pullman, I stopped by the CUB or student union building and met up with fellow AKPSI brothers at our "SPOT" where no one else dares sit or else face some serious "professional" consequences! It was great grabbing lunch with brothers I hadn't seen in almost a year since my last "Return Of The Mack!" I was feeling guilty about missing the last two big events at our Chapter so this one was even more extra-special to me! Afterward we all met up back at Brandon's before getting a home-cooked, very tasty meal from at another brother Sam's place! Fat & Happy we set off to collect party supplies and treats for that evenings festivities at Brandon's house! Perfect as this way, I didn't even have to walk home, I could literally crawl! (Though I did none, thank you very much!) After a killer Friday evening of catching up with some of the best current brothers I know along with Alumni, some of whom I hadn't seen in six or eight years, I crashed on the couch and slept better then I had in some time!

Upon waking up the next day I set out with brother Lauren to further explore WSU and took in some Cougar Football Spring Scrimmage while actually getting the chance to set foot on Martin Stadium! After some good times and Meeting up with several other brothers and friends we then headed to the ZZU CRU's festivities celebrating WSU Basketball which just came to an end. A free lunch later and some great times with Lauren and I was back to Brando's for a little nap before the biggest and most anticipated event of the weekend...The 10 year banquet! After getting decked out in some professional duds we set off back to the CUB along with tons of other brothers! When I arrived I was beside myself and sometimes didn't even know what to say! I was awe-struck at the professionalism and great job that the current student body had done to make this happen! I can't THANK YOU all enough for this TRULY AMAZING weekend! After some initial chatter and catching up we sat down to an excellent meal that was fully catered with bar and all! After dinner was the award ceremony along with slide shows showing the past years activities and put to a soundtrack! All the while monitors across the banquet hall played slide shows of photos from the very beginning of our chapter! Back then was a time when I was, well, slightly less follicly-challenged and well lets just say I loved it! Several brothers gave speeches and discussed their times with Beta Lambda and then it was on to take class photos and family pics with the Mack Family (Mine) looking absolutely frickin' ridiculously sexy, professional and ready to take names! Did I mention the Mack Family is mostly ladies! I ain't complaining!!! ;)

Afterward we headed back to change before attending another soiree with more singing, dancing, and catching up with our chapter! Great times though I was (like usual) one of the last brothers standing and made it home ok before watching the sun come up and reminiscing about the last 10 years and how far we've come! Got home, passed out again and then it was Sunday! We headed out with as many brothers as we could to grab brunch at Denny's before saying good bye one last time! Nice way to finish the weekend as far as brotherhood goes! Afterward I headed back to Brando's to once again take a nap! (P.S. I'm Old...Remember!) The roommates all got together and prepared another HOME-cooked meal for me that I will never forget! Hit the Spot and Then some!!! We stayed up again watching movies, updating Facebook and recollecting the weekends events! The next day I headed off to the Pullman-Moscow Airport to head back to Seattle. I met up with my Dad there and was lucky enough to grab lunch and spend a few hours with him in the terminal before heading off back to Chicago on the plane where I sit here now typing this! Keep in mind I hadn't seen any one in my immediate family in almost two months! This man was a bit homesick for the best "Pops" in the history of man! Thanks Dad, I owe you so much and love you more then I can ever begin to express in words!

Ok, well that was a mouthful and then some but alas I think my blog this time around must come to an end! All in all it was an amazing weekend with the ultimate in brotherhood and reminiscing and I can't thank the current student members enough for all they did and all the personal money that went into planning and paying for this! I hope that the alumni were able to donate some as well toward your efforts! Thank you to all my brothers! May we live on stronger than ever and continue to improve and grow as a chapter and brotherhood! I consider myself "lucky" just to be able to call you brothers and have many of you as true friends! Cheers to Us!!!

Sincerely,

Matthew K. Allen, Founder of Beta Lambda, 1999

PS. It was back to Chicago I went, to realize and experience my "professional" Destiny! I was to be "professionally" married in a week and boy was a ready to take that "professional" leap! ;)

~ Mack Out

No comments:

Post a Comment